It's our eleventh anniversary! Pop the corks, and let the undecennial festivities begin! We're all familiar with "silver," "gold," and "diamond" anniversaries, true? Well, unless I am very much mistaken, the eleventh is the "particle board" anniversary.
This is not to say that 2021 is a nothing year as far as Mansion milestones are concerned. Far from it. As some of the gang at "the Thread" have noted, 2021 is a banner year for anniversaries:
- 50th anniversary of the Walt Disney World Haunted Mansion
- 20th anniversary of the Nightmare Before Christmas/Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay
- 15th anniversary of the original Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion thread at Micechat
- 15th anniversary of Constance Hatchaway's debut
- 10th anniversary of the interactive queue and digital hitchhikers at the Orlando attraction
- 5th anniversary of the return of the berm graveyard at Disneyland
Mind you, your blog administrator is not necessarily happy with all of those changes. You ... know ... he's ... not. But love 'em or hate 'em, they are significant events in the Mansion's history. Too bad the Long-Forgotten blog is off by one measly year and so misses inclusion on that impressive quinquennial list. But, *sniff* the same can be said of Phantom Manor (29 years), the attic Pianist (26 years), Doombuggies.com (24 years), and the new Hatbox Ghost (6 years).
May April March?
So now we have another item to add to that column: the return of April-December after an absence of seventeen years, plus about half a dozen lesser "enhancements." What shall we call this cluster? When the WDW was spruced up and received a set of new and improved effects in 2007, the clever collective name for it was the "Rehaunting" of the Florida HM. For the new changes to the Anaheim attraction, the only buzzword WDI seems to be throwing around so far is "enhancements."
March, April May!
You will recall that "April" and "December" originally flashed back and forth with the lightning (i.e. two images), but at a very early date the effect went to a slow morph. There exists some remarkably good video of her from 1989, just twenty years into the ride's existence: